In 1958 the Fire Department purchased an old panel delivery truck at a cost of $300 from a local man named Harley Robinson. This panel truck would become the Departments very first ambulance. The Fire Department also purchased a used 1954 stub-nosed Chevrolet truck and mounted the pump from the Model ‘A’. It was also fitted with a small tank and used as a pumper truck. This equipment would be used to fight fires in the country as well as those within the City limits of New Sharon and allowed the Fire Department to be able to fight fires in both locations simultaneously if required to do so.
Finally, in 1964 a Chevrolet Suburban was purchased from a local business, Harkema Chevrolet, and this would serve as the City’s new ambulance.
Then, in 1970, the New Sharon Fire Department faced one of the largest fires in their history. There was a Skelly gasoline station and an adjoining business, Harkema Chevrolet dealership located on East Market Street about two blocks east of the main highway intersection of Hwy 146 & Hwy 63. During the winter months and at an undisclosed time somewhere in mid-afternoon, while the Chevrolet dealership was open for business, employees working inside reported a fire. The fire resulted in several explosions which ripped through the business and in time would spread to the Skelly gasoline station next door. Almost instantly both businesses were ablaze. New Sharon requested Mutual Aid from surrounding communities in order to combat the fire which ultimately resulted in a total loss for both businesses.
Later, during the 1970’s the Fire Department purchased additional fire gear to better protect them while fighting fires.
In 1976, after Harkema Chevrolet had recovered from the earlier fire, the Department purchased a new Brush Buggy from Harkema.
During the 1970’s Dwight McCain served as Fire Chief, Tom Whitehead as the Assistant Fire Chief, and Ed Davis was Captain of the Fire Department.
Serving as Fire Chief from 1981 to 1985 was Tom Whitehead along with other fire-fighters, Ed Davis, Verlan VanWyk and Steve Gerard serving as Captain and Assistant Chiefs.
In 1981 the Department purchased a new Tank Truck from Harkema Chevrolet.
During the later 1980’s the leadership changed once again with Verlan VanWyk serving as Fire Chief, Steve Gerard as Assistant Fire Chief along with Jim Reed and Ed Davis.
Interestingly enough, in 1987 a new Fire Station was erected on the same property as the 1970’s fire at Harkema Chevrolet and Skelly gasoline station.